This workshop is designed for those who have an understanding and a commitment to regular and meaningful small group instruction.
Making Sure Kids Grow in Small Groups
with Gwen Blumberg, Tammy Mulligan, and Dana Murphy
February 7, 2024 | East Central ESC—Sunnyside Education Center | 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM (Eastern)
Is your small group instruction helping readers grow? If you want your small group instruction to be more targeted and effective, then join three current practitioners from across the country as we dive into the nitty-gritty of small group instruction and responding to students’ needs. This workshop will offer practical ways to make small group instruction more effective. You can expect tips and tools like:
- An analogy to explain how small groups are developed.
- Steps to create a small group plan to support all readers.
- How to design a data plan that helps you understand the full profile of a reader.
- Ways to identify students who need quick and frequent practice.
- Conversations with local educators to widen perspectives and strengthen understandings.
- Reflective practice experiences to guide you in tailoring the next steps for your school.
What Participants Are Saying
Even if you already know how to run effective data-driven small groups, this PD is full of great ideas to freshen up your skills. I learned a lot of new strategies that are easy to implement. —Diane Anderson, Lit Cadre Coach, Lake Ridge Schools
This workshop is great for teachers beginning their journey in building flexible groups to ensure students are getting exactly what they need on the walk to becoming proficient! It’s a 10! —Jonathan Winslow, Elementary Curriculum and Instruction, MSD of Steuben County Schools
This workshop was incredibly helpful. I learned how to break down small groups and I was given time to actually put what I learned into practice. —Brittany Blair, Classroom Teacher, West Noble Schools
Meet the Presenters
Gwen Blumberg is a literacy leader for a K-8 district in Greater Boston. She’s a lifelong, avid reader who loves to share books with kids and listen to the stories they write and tell.
Tammy Mulligan co-authored It’s All About the Books and Assessment in Perspective. She is a second grade teacher at Hanscom Primary School.
Dana Murphy is a reading interventionist outside of Chicago. She blogged at Two Writing Teachers and has served as an instructional coach and elementary teacher.
- After you register, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this email, check your spam. If you still do not have it, please reach out to Ruth Ayres via the Contact Form.
- You may register one person at a time. Please use the participant’s email address when registering. This ensures that each attendee receives direct emails with workshop information. (Accounts payable should be entered in the notes section.)
- If you are from a school district who is a member of The Lead Learners, please use the coupon code: TLLfree for free registration.
- If your school district is a member of an Indiana Educational Service Center, please use the coupon code: ESC2Day for a discounted price.
- If there are multiple registrations from the same district and you select “Invoice Payment,” all registrations will be included on one invoice. In the notes, please include the email address of the person who should receive the invoice.
- When you register, you will be part of The Lead Learners email list.